Friday, October 2, 2020

Into the Woods

Into the Woods

Shared by Betty Krogman

Urban Naturalist

betty.krogman@nashville.gov

Photos courtesy Betty Krogman

My work is in city neighborhoods so for relaxation, I head to the country.

Country roads that lead to wild spaces refresh my soul. And so it was on a glorious Saturday morning that I hiked the Bicentennial Trail in Ashland City.

Few people were on the trail as it was early, and Fall wildflowers were in bloom. I took many pictures to post on  iNaturalist for verification and to add to research. That’s a fun tool.


Yellow coneflowers blooming in the Master Gardener's bed. 


The American Beautyberry was in glorious color. 

Birds were also singing, and I have learned some of their calls, but the sheer delight of a cacophony of natural sounds needed no identification, really. To have a totally quiet space to hear them was enough.


While listening to the birds, I noticed a Scarlet Waxy Cap mushroom. 

My outstanding experience that day, however, was sitting on a rock in a creek, listening to trickles of water, while watching a Red Spotted Purple butterfly dance and flit in the glistening sun. Bliss!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Great Cicada Emergence

   The Great Cicada Emergence By Jenna Atma, Warner Parks Naturalist Something exciting is happening in the park—the first sightings of some...